Harry Balfour Replacement School
Harry Balfour Replacement School
Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) has been awarded design funding for the replacement Harry Balfour School. The funding was included among 25 new school projects announced on November 1, 2019 by Minister of Education Adriana LaGrange. Replacing the existing Harry Balfour School has been the PWPSD Board’s top capital plan priority for several years.
AMAN Builders Inc. has been awarded the construction contract for the Harry Balfour Replacement School and has begun work at the Fine Mile Hall site.Photo credit: Leigh Haynes, November 2022
Bookmark this page
We invite families to visit this page often. Further announcements on the progress of the replacement Harry Balfour School will be shared here as information becomes available.
The replacement school will continue to serve Junior Kindergarten - Grade 8 students in the existing Harry Balfour School attendance area:
- Start Architecture was named the successful design bidder in March 2021.
- The replacement school will reflect elements of Whispering Ridge Community School that opened in 2018 to accommodate approximately half of Harry Balfour School’s rapidly growing enrolment.
Interior design of the replacement school, including room layout and breakout spaces, received tremendous input from the School Design Committee.
Using Whispering Ridge Community School as their starting point, the School Design Committee provided input on classroom design elements such as millwork and the design and location of teaching stations and whiteboards.
Plans for the site layout, parking and bus loop design, and school orientation on the property are being finalized.
The design will incorporate LEED® Silver requirements, in collaboration with Alberta Infrastructure.
Playground: In her announcement on November 1, 2019, Minister LaGrange also said parents no longer have to fundraise for playground equipment, as it is included in funding for new schools.
Location: The County of Grande Prairie has provided land at the Five Mile Hall site.
Advantage of the new location: By eliminating the additional time required to transport rural students through the busy central core of the city, the Board will achieve another important goal – educating County of Grande Prairie students where they live while reducing early morning pick-up and late drop-off times.
- Mar. 29, 2021 Board approves funding for additional washroom space, PWPSD Board News
- Mar. 10, 2021 Construction Update: Replacement Harry Balfour School
- Apr. 27, 2020 Board News: Construction funding approved for replacement Harry Balfour School
- Mar. 11, 2020 Full funding confirmed for replacement Harry Balfour School
- Nov. 04, 2019 Design funding awarded for replacement Harry Balfour School
Government of Alberta / County of Grande Prairie Media Releases
- Apr. 27, 2021 Council awards contract for water and sanitary servicing at Five Mile Hall School site, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
- Jan. 12, 2021 Third reading for Five Mile Hall borrowing bylaw, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
- Nov. 25, 2019 Council approves PWPSD's request to access Five Mile Hall surrounding lands for site evaluations, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
- Nov. 01, 2019 Building schools for the future, Alberta Government
In the News – Media Coverage
Mar. 25, 2021 Five Mile Hall school advances with design company, Town & Country News
Mar. 11, 2021 Construction to start this fall on Harry Balfour School, Daily Herald Tribune
Mar. 10, 2021 Designer named for Harry Balfour replacement school, 2day FM
Mar. 10, 2021 Construction of Harry Balfour School replacement at Five Mile site expected to start in Fall 2021, Everything GP
Jan. 19, 2021 County to borrow $4 million, servicing Five Mile Hall school site to cost $6 million plus, Daily Herald Tribune
Dec. 17, 2020 Province grants county $2.67M for school prep under municipal stimulus program, Town & Country News
Dec. 03, 2020 County receives over $2.67 million in provincial stimulus funding, Daily Herald Tribune
Dec. 02, 2020 County granted $2.6 million to help service Five mile school site, Everything GP
Nov. 30, 2020 Provincial grant funding for Five Mile Hall School site, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
Nov. 30, 2020 Long-term planning for Five Mile School site, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
Nov. 30, 2020 County approved for over $2.6 million in municipal stimulus funding, 2day FM
Nov. 30, 2020 County receives over $2.67 Million in Provincial Stimulus Funding, County of Grande Prairie
- Nov. 26, 2020 County approves $298K to power future Five Mile school site, Town & Country News
- Nov. 16, 2020 Five Mile Hall school one step closer to construction, 2day FM
- Nov. 09, 2020 Council approves funding to extend power and natural gas utilities to the Five Mile Hall School Site, County of Grande Prairie
- Apr. 27, 2020 Construction funding approved for replacement Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Mar. 11, 2020 Full funding confirmed by province for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Dec. 06, 2019 Peace Wapiti dealing with $2-million grant cut, promised school replacement, Daily Herald Tribune
- Nov. 28, 2019 County Council to send a letter to School Division, granting access to new school site, Everything GP
- Nov. 21, 2019 PWPSD receiving funds for new Five Mile School, Town & Country News
- Nov. 12, 2019 MLA happy GP is "on the map again" for new schools, Everything GP
- Nov. 07, 2019 Design funding announced for replacement Harry Balfour School, Daily Herald Tribune
- Nov. 04, 2019 Design funding awarded for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Nov. 04, 2019 PWPSD gets design funding for Five Mile Hall school, 2day FM
- Nov. 01, 2019 Provincial funding will go to planning new Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Nov. 01, 2019 Four Edmonton schools among 25 projects to be built or funded across AB, Global News Edmonton