Replacement Harry Balfour School
Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) has been awarded design funding for the replacement Harry Balfour School. The funding was included among 25 new school projects announced on November 1, 2019 by Minister of Education Adriana LaGrange. Replacing the existing Harry Balfour School has been the PWPSD Board’s top capital plan priority for several years. Read the full media release.
Bookmark this page
We invite families to visit this page often. Further announcements on construction funding and planning, and the projected start date will be shared as information becomes available.
Attendance area: The replacement school will continue serve students in Kindergarten - Grade 8 in the existing Harry Balfour School attendance area:
Location: Earlier this year, the County of Grande Prairie set aside land at the Five Mile Hall site, with installation of municipal services and road access pending a new school announcement.
Advantage of the new location: By eliminating the additional time required to transport rural students through the busy central core of the city, we will simultaneously reduce early morning pick-ups and late drop-off times.
School design: The new school is expected to reflect the footprint of Whispering Ridge Community School that opened in 2018 to accommodate approximately half of Harry Balfour’s rapidly growing enrolment.
Playground: In her announcement, Minister LaGrange also said parents no longer have to fundraise for playground equipment, as it is included in funding for new schools.
- Apr. 27, 2020 Board News: Construction funding approved for replacement Harry Balfour School
- Mar. 11, 2020 Full funding confirmed for replacement Harry Balfour School
- Nov. 04, 2019 Design funding awarded for replacement Harry Balfour School
Government of Alberta / County of Grande Prairie Media Releases
- Jan. 12, 2021 Third reading for Five Mile Hall borrowing bylaw, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
Nov. 25, 2019 Council approves PWPSD's request to access Five Mile Hall surrounding lands for site evaluations, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
- Nov. 01, 2019 Building schools for the future, Alberta Government
In the News – Media Coverage
Jan. 19, 2021 County to borrow $4 million, servicing Five Mile Hall school site to cost $6 million plus, Daily Herald Tribune
Dec. 17, 2020 Province grants county $2.67M for school prep under municipal stimulus program, Town & Country News
Dec. 03, 2020 County receives over $2.67 million in provincial stimulus funding, Daily Herald Tribune
Dec. 02, 2020 County granted $2.6 million to help service Five mile school site, Everything GP
Nov. 30, 2020 Provincial grant funding for Five Mile Hall School site, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
Nov. 30, 2020 Long-term planning for Five Mile School site, County of Grande Prairie Council Highlights
Nov. 30, 2020 County approved for over $2.6 million in municipal stimulus funding, 2day FM
Nov. 30, 2020 County receives over $2.67 Million in Provincial Stimulus Funding, County of Grande Prairie
- Nov. 26, 2020 County approves $298K to power future Five Mile school site, Town & Country News
- Nov. 16, 2020 Five Mile Hall school one step closer to construction, 2day FM
- Nov. 09, 2020 Council approves funding to extend power and natural gas utilities to the Five Mile Hall School Site, County of Grande Prairie
- Apr. 27, 2020 Construction funding approved for replacement Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Mar. 11, 2020 Full funding confirmed by province for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Dec. 06, 2019 Peace Wapiti dealing with $2-million grant cut, promised school replacement, Daily Herald Tribune
Nov. 28, 2019 County Council to send a letter to School Division, granting access to new school site, Everything GP
- Nov. 21, 2019 PWPSD receiving funds for new Five Mile School, Town & Country News
- Nov. 12, 2019 MLA happy GP is "on the map again" for new schools, Everything GP
- Nov. 07, 2019 Design funding announced for replacement Harry Balfour School, Daily Herald Tribune
- Nov. 04, 2019 Design funding awarded for replacement of Harry Balfour School, Reach FM
- Nov. 04, 2019 PWPSD gets design funding for Five Mile Hall school, 2day FM
- Nov. 01, 2019 Provincial funding will go to planning new Harry Balfour School, Everything GP
- Nov. 01, 2019 Four Edmonton schools among 25 projects to be built or funded across AB, Global News Edmonton