School councils were established in 1995, to increase parent and community involvement in the education of children in Alberta. Public schools, including charter schools, are required to attempt to establish school councils.
Each school council must include the following members: school principal, teacher(s), parents of students enrolled in the school, student(s) (high schools only)
Parents must form the majority of members. Individual school councils may also decide to include as members one or more persons who are not parents of students enrolled in the school and/or one or more persons who are parents of children enrolled in an Early Childhood Services program at the school.
The School Councils' Regulation
The School Councils Regulation provide clarity and flexibility for establishing school councils to accommodate local circumstances. It reflects what happens in existing school councils and identifies opportunities for involving parents in meaningful activities that relate to school. In addition, section 13 of the School Councils' Regulation identifies the responsibilities of school boards in relation to school councils.
The Alberta School Councils' Association
The Alberta School Councils' Association (ASCA) provides a wealth of resources and information for school councils, including:
- School Council Resource Guide provides background information on school councils, how they should operate, and how they tie into the School Act. It also explains school council regulations and how membership should be set up;
- Online Community where members can network with others, stay current with news and events and join in provincial discussions;
- Workshops to enhance effectiveness and parent engagement;
PWPSD General School Councils' Meetings
Through school councils, Albertans have the opportunity to advise the principal and the school board respecting any matter relating to the school. Aside from regular meetings at their schools, the School Council Chair and Secretary/Treasurer are invited to participate in annual Council of School Council General Meetings.
PWPSD moving to one General School Councils' Meeting per school year
Attendance statistics from past General School Councils' Meetings were reviewed during the Communications Committee meeting on May 16, 2019. The data revealed that the Board motion to host one meeting as a pilot in the 2018-19 school year, instead of the usual two meetings, was a success.
The motion came from a desire to see improved attendance, and to make efficient use of parents' time.
Going forward, PWPSD will host one meeting in the spring and will continue to cover the cost of mileage associated with one return trip per school council.
Past General School Councils' Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Tuesday, March 30, 2021: Agenda and Meeting Minutes and Thought Exchange Summary
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, April 10, 2018: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, October 24, 2017: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, March 28, 2017: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, October 25, 2016: Agenda and Meeting Minutes with attachments
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Tuesday, March 24, 2015: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
Past General School Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes PDFs