Grande Prairie, AB – At approximately 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 11, 2021, crews from the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service from the Clairmont, Dunes, Sexsmith and Wembley stations responded to fire alarms sounding at Whispering Ridge Community School (WRCS) located at 10320-149 Avenue in the Whispering Ridge subdivision, Clairmont.
The fire, which is now extinguished, was contained to the Grade 1 and playschool modular classrooms. The building was unoccupied when the fire broke out. The cause of the fire is under investigation. The public is asked to stay outside school grounds and follow all directions from any officials on site.
The Facilities and Maintenance Department at Peace Wapiti Public School Divisions (PWPSD) is currently coordinating site safety inspections and remediation work.
Return to school instructions following Easter Break on Monday, April 12, 2021:
- There will be no school for Grade 1 students on Monday, April 12. Grade 1 students will begin at-home remote learning on Tuesday, April 13.
- Grades 2-8 students will participate in at-home remote learning beginning Monday, April 12.
- Kindergarten students will participate in at-home remote learning on their scheduled days of school.
- School staff will contact parents as soon as possible to provide learning plans.
- The clearance date for students and staff to return to WRCS is currently unknown.
- Further updates on the expected return to in-school learning will be provided as site safety inspections and remediation work is completed.
PWPSD and WRCS would like to thank the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service for their speedy response and skill in containing the fire.