Grande Prairie, AB – Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) has been advised of a case of COVID-19 at Robert W. Zahara Public School (RWZ) in Sexsmith. The individual last attended the school on Thursday, February 11.
School administration communicated the information to families and staff on Wednesday evening, February 17 after learning about the positive test result and receiving direction from AHS.
Out of respect for the individual, and in accordance with AHS guidelines, no further information will be shared about the case. PWPSD and RWZ wish the individual a safe and speedy recovery, and will continue to work closely with AHS to ensure necessary measures are in place to protect all students and staff.
School remains open for in-person learning, close contacts advised to isolate
On Wednesday, February 17, school administration provided the following information to families and staff members:
- The plans set in place to create zones and cohorts at RWZ have worked as planned, and helped in the successful completion of contact tracing with AHS.
- The identified close contacts must isolate at home until Friday, February 26.
- Remote learning opportunities will be provided to isolating students.
- AHS is expected to provide all close contacts with further direction on testing and isolation instructions.
- Students and staff not identified as close contacts do not need to isolate and were told they could return to school today, Thursday, February 18.
- The school has been disinfected.