Grande Prairie, AB – On Sunday evening, October 25, 2020, Alberta Health Services (AHS) advised administration at Peace Wapiti Public School Division (PWPSD) of a case of COVID-19 at Sexsmith Secondary School (SSS). School administration communicated the information to families and staff on Sunday evening.
Out of respect for the individual, and in accordance with AHS guidelines, no further information will be shared about this case. PWPSD and SSS wish the individual a safe and speedy recovery, and will continue to work closely with AHS to ensure necessary measures are in place to protect all students and staff.
School remains open for in-person learning
Sexsmith Secondary School has provided the following operational information:
- The plans set in place to create zones and cohorts at SSS have worked as planned, and helped in the successful completion of contact tracing with AHS.
- School administration communicated the news to all families and staff on Sunday evening, and advised identified close contacts to remain at home. AHS will provide all close contacts with further direction on testing and isolation instructions.
- School is continuing as usual for all students who have not been identified by AHS as a close contact.
- Remote learning opportunities will be provided to isolating students.
- The school was disinfected in preparation for the return to school today, Monday.